For guidance on fit notes relating to Coronavirus Covid-19 please click on the link below
Requests for certification of absence from the workplace relating to Covid-19 may fall in to 5 categories.
- Symptomatic so isolating for 7 days - Patient can and should self-certify for the first 7 days as normal if they are unfit to work. No need to contact the GP.
- Symptomatic and remaining unwell for over 7 days - If you remain unwell and unfit to work after 7 days, the current advice is to visit www.111.nhs.uk where there is an online self-assessment tool. No need to contact your GP for a fit note but you could print the letter below for your employer if need.
- Household contact symptoms so isolating for 14 days as per government advice - GPs cannot and are not the gatekeeper of the statutory sick pay system and can only provide fit notes for the purpose of illness, not in relation to government advice regarding self-isolation.
- At risk group so following government advice - Where the patient becomes unwell during or after this time, point 1 and 2 applies.
- Those in full time education who are symptomatic or requiring self isolation - There is no NHS requirement to issue certification to school or colleges to confirm absence. These organisations must work with parents and students to ensure that any absence is appropriately recorded. No need to contact the GP.
Please click on the link to get an isolation note. There is no need to contact the surgery for this.